Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Tyranny of the Minority

I'm struck by how absurd some aspects of representative democracy can be.

Texas just "elected" a governor whom 61% of voters chose not to vote for.

That's right. With 39% of the electorate, Gov. Rick Perry (incumbent) was elected for yet another term.

How can it be called representative democracy, when the winner represents a minority of the voters?

Asked by the Houston Chronicle if it concerned him that he'll be a minority governor, Perry snapped, "I don't think that matters one twit [sic]. We'll still have 100% of the authority."

Humble. Intelligent. A real bridge builder.

I'd say it's time to move, except for the fact that I love living in Austin. I suppose my best hope is for the Delay Factor (or Foley Factor)...arrogance eventually begets gross abuse of power that finally gets noticed.

3 Comments:

At Friday, November 10, 2006, Blogger BKKpartyboy said...

Texas would have been the last place I thought you would have ended up making your home!!

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Blogger A Muser said...

I agree. But my home isn't in Texas. It's in Austin. Which, as anyone in Texas can tell you, is a whole other nuther country.

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Blogger BKKpartyboy said...

LOL...Nice!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home